Virgin showed off its latest and greatest router for home internet in 2021, which was rolled out extensively in 2022. This is a broadband router that sports next-gen WiFi 6 functionality that was promised to offer insanely fast WiFi speeds for the home.
They delivered on these promises; let me tell you, this hub is quick! This is why there is so much positive Virgin Media press about this new hub. Virgin Media Hub 5 routers are currently deployed full steam ahead, with many customers noticing distinctly faster speeds and added reliability.
But it doesn’t end with only Wireless tech. The Hub 5 also has a 2.5Gbps Ethernet port for super-fast wired connections.
Table of Contents
- How to Get a Virgin Media Hub 5 for Free
- Virgin Media Hub 5 Speeds
- New Virgin Media Hub 5 Features
- Virgin Media Hub 5 Specs
- What is Virgin Media Hub 5?
- Hub 5 Specifications
- Let’s Compare: Virgin Media Hub 5 vs. Hub 3 vs. Hub 4
- Virgin Media Coverage
- Wrapping Up- Getting a Hub 5 for Free!
How to Get a Virgin Media Hub 5 for Free
If you’re a Virgin Media customer, you’re in luck. Virgin Media is offering the Hub 5 to its customers for free, and here’s how you can get yours:
- Check if you’re eligible: To qualify for a free Hub 5, you must be a Virgin Media customer with a valid subscription to one of their broadband packages.
- Contact Virgin Media: If you’re eligible, contact Virgin Media through their customer support channels, such as their website or phone. They’ll be able to verify your eligibility and arrange for a free Hub 5 to be sent to you.
- Replace your old router: Once you receive your new Hub 5, simply replace your old router with the new one and enjoy the benefits of faster speeds, better coverage, and a more reliable connection.
Virgin Media Hub 5 Speeds
We are seeing speeds that would have not been possible for the average Virgin Media customer in the UK just a few years ago. The technology that underpins Virgin Media’s product offerings is indeed impressive.
We have been watching with great interest as Virgin Media O2 sees itself being deployed in more areas throughout the UK, with gigabit broadband speeds becoming more available to lucky customers in this service range.
The result is that as Virgin Media makes more inroads into more areas throughout the UK, the better and faster the average internet user’s connection at home will be. This leads to cheaper pricing due to more competition and better service.
New Virgin Media Hub 5 Features
The Virgin Media Hub 5 sweetens the deal with the future-proofing of your wireless network with Wi-Fi 6. Your Hub 5 will last you for several generations of top-tier intelligent devices such as smartphones, laptops, gaming consoles, and tablets.
How does the Virgin Media Hub 5 dish out such blisteringly fast speeds over the network? Without diving too much into the technical details, the Hub 5 can broadcast its WiFi 6 signal for greater distances and with more power than previous models, thanks to its enhanced antenna design and placement.
All these details give you a superior internet experience with fewer black spots and dead zones in your home, which makes for happy internet users around the house thanks to Virgin’s new hub. Faster internet means less waiting for software and game updates, no more buffering or limited video quality streams, and better pings for the gamer.
Virgin Media Hub 5 Specs
What good is an article about the Hub 5 without any specs? Well, don’t worry; we have got you covered there! See below for exactly what you are getting when you get your Virgin Media Hub 5.
DOCSIS3.1/3.0 Broadcom 3390S
- 5 x Antennae
- 4 x 4 MiMo 5Ghz Broadcom 6715
- 3 x 3 MiMo 2.4Ghz Broadcom 6710
- WiFi 6 (802.11ax)
- 1 x 2.5Gbps Broadcom 54991EL
- 3 x 1Gbps Broadcom 3390S
For more information, check Virgin Media’s site and see what other news there is about this stellar Hub.
What is Virgin Media Hub 5?
Virgin Media smart Hub 5 is the latest WiFi router available to Virgin Media’s existing customers for a free upgrade.
Hub 5 is designed for Gig1 fibre broadband and comes with more wireless channels, so it offers the following benefits:
- Faster WiFi speeds for next-generation games consoles and the latest smartphones
- For boosting network efficiency and WiFi coverage
- For boosting speeds during network congestion (peak times)
See what Virgin Media broadband packages are available in your area.
Hub 5 Specifications
- Model: Sagemcom F3896LG-VMB
- Broadcom 3390S chip
- Built-in modem supports DOCSIS3.1/3.0
- 802.11ax WiFi 6
- Dual-band router (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands)
- Four gigabit Ethernet ports (1×2.5Gbps, 3x1Gbps)
- Maximum speeds – 2.5Gbps
- 2 phone ports
- Number of antennas – 5
- WPA3 security
- 1 x coaxial connector
Let’s Compare: Virgin Media Hub 5 vs. Hub 3 vs. Hub 4
We all know that Virgin Media Hubs form the backbone of most people’s modern internet setups at home. These routers give Virgin Media customers a wide array of internet services such as fibre and DSL.
The Hub 3 and Hub 4 routers set the bar quite high regarding basic internet usage, and they continue to perform extremely well. This is partly thanks to the well-designed components and thoughtful features such as WiFi attenuation and multi-channel support.
These units are not perfect, however, and many people find that upgrading their WiFi with a third-party WiFi router improves the home network setup substantially. The Hub 5 seeks to make those upgrades redundant by providing WiFi 6 support, faster network support speeds, and plenty of configuration options in the software interface.
Let’s see how they compare on paper.
Virgin Media Hub 5 Features
- The Hub 5 has WiFi 6 (802.11ax) functionality, a vast improvement over the previous standard. This technology offers better range, speed, and overall performance. Security is also improved with the new WPA3 standard.
- The Hub 5 also offers ridiculously fast Ethernet with a 2.5Gbps port, allowing you to fully utilize your fibre connection if you need high speed and no latency on an Ethernet Enabled device.
- Hub 5 has advanced network features that allow you to prioritize network traffic and avoid disconnections when multiple devices are connected to your WiFi or Ethernet connections.
- Virgin Media Smart Home features are possible with this solid hub as the backbone of your WiFi.
Virgin Media Hub 3 and Hub 4 Features
- Both the older Hub 3 and Hub 4 devices offer 802.11ac WiFi functionality, which means that it only has standard WiFi 5 as its wireless tech. 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies are available, and current tech works well with the Hub 3 and Hub 4.
- Hub 4 uses DOCSIS 3.1 to connect to the internet
Virgin Media Coverage
Virgin Media has lofty ambitions for its United Kingdom customers, and gigabit internet is a service they are looking to deploy in more areas and to more people than ever before. And at the forefront of this is the Virgin Media Hub 5.
It usually can be quite tricky to benchmark internet routers as the service available to the vast majority of us testers often cannot push the hardware to its proper limits.
Virgin Media has remedied this in some areas where you can get over 2Gbps to your home, but the availability of these lines depends on many factors.
For this reason, you need to contact Virgin Media about your area and find out if you are eligible, or use our link below to find out what you can get in your area.
Wrapping Up- Getting a Hub 5 for Free!
If you are lucky enough to already have a Virgin Media line installed in your home, you could be eligible for a Hub 5 unit. The catch? There is no catch if you are already a Virgin Media customer, and you might qualify for a free Hub 5 if you are already connected to their excellent internet service.
Virgin Media started reaching out to eligible customers in October to late 2021, but if you haven’t heard from them, then it might be a good idea to contact them and find out if you are in line to receive a Virgin Hub 5 for free! The Hub 5 has really impressed us, making future Virgin Media releases exciting to think about.
How will I know when I can order the Hub 5?
Virgin Media will email you with an invitation to order the Hub 5 as soon as it becomes available for your specific group of customers.
Will I need to pay extra for Hub 5?
The cost of the Hub 5 and whether it is included in your current package or if it requires an additional fee will depend on the package you have chosen and the terms of your contract with Virgin Media. You can contact Virgin Media for more information.
Will my current services be affected during the rollout of Hub 5?
Virgin Media is working to ensure that the rollout of the Hub 5 will not affect your current services. If you experience any issues, please contact Virgin Media customer support.
Can I still use my current router with the Hub 5?
The Hub 5 is designed to work specifically with Virgin Media services, so it is recommended to use the Hub 5 for optimal performance. However, you can contact Virgin Media to inquire about compatibility with your current router.
Will the Hub 5 improve my Wi-Fi speed?
The Hub 5 is designed to offer faster and more reliable Wi-Fi than previous versions, so it will likely improve your Wi-Fi speed. However, the improvement will depend on various factors, such as your location and the number of devices connected to the network.
Will the Hub 5 work with other internet service providers?
The Hub 5 is designed to work specifically with Virgin Media services, so it may not be compatible with other internet service providers.